Apply for housing

Page Contents

Coronavirus (COVID-19) update:

The Housing Register: We will be accepting new online applications from 22 June 2020.

Choice Based Lettings: We have recommenced advertising properties through choice based lettings from 9 June 2020.

Homelessness - Home owners and private renters: Recently the government announced a suspension on all evictions for at least the next 3 months. If you have recently received a notice to quit or possession order which is due to expire during this 3 months you no do need to leave. It's important to remember this is only a suspension of possession action and it may be that your mortgage company or landlord commence action again after the suspension is lifted.Private renters - this is not a 3 month payment holiday and you still need to ensure your rent is paid. If you have experienced a drop income as a result of recent events please ensure you seek advice from the DWP to see if you're able to get assistance with Universal Credit.

Homelessness - From friends or family: We are under great pressure to ensure that we have sufficient provision available to support our most vulnerable in society with accommodation and as demands increase on the health system there is a good chance we will be asked to assist in supporting early discharges from hospital to free up hospital beds. We need your support with this and we expect you to remain staying with your friends and family that you have been previously.

Prison leavers: The prison resettlement service or probation service should refer anyone who will have no accommodation on release from prison via our ALERT referral system and we will be in touch. Please only use this system if your client is going to be homeless and has no accommodation or family/friends they are able to stay with on release.

Rough sleeping: We are still offering a service to rough sleepers and our outreach team have been working with our rough sleeping community to ensure that anyone who falls into a vulnerable group or is displaying any of the known symptoms of Covid-19 have been offered accommodation to enable them to self isolate.If you or know of anyone who is rough sleeping and in need of accommodation please contact us as detailed above.

If you become homeless and have no where to stay tonight please contact us on 01733 864064 between 9 til 5 Monday - Friday except on Wednesdays when we open at 11. If you are homeless outside of these hours please call our out of hours service on 01733 864157.

Updated: 8 July 2020


The council's Housing Needs team has a common Housing Register and a joint allocations policy which was agreed in partnership with ten housing associations who have accommodation in Peterborough. This forms the Peterborough Homes partnership.

Properties that become available through housing associations in the Peterborough Homes partnership are advertised through the Choice Based Lettings scheme and Peterborough Homes Housing Jigsaw website. 

Anyone aged 16 or over (including those with no fixed abode) may be placed on the housing register, except for:

  • people from abroad subject to immigration control or regulations
  • people prescribed as ineligible by regulations made by the Secretary of State
  • people we consider unsuitable tenants due to unacceptable behaviour.

Please note: In order to provide housing solutions as efficiently as possible, we do not accept paper applications.

Circumstance We will need
For each applicant
  • Proofs of identity (two items from Group A, or ONE item from Group A and TWO items from Group B):
    • Group A
      • Passport
      • National Identity card
      • Driving licence
      • Birth certificate
    • Group B
      • Marriage certificate
      • NHS medical card/GP registration letter
      • Bank card
      • Other photo ID
  • Proofs of current address, including:
    • Bank statement
    • Utility bill
    • NHS Medical Card/Letter
    • Letters from the Department for Work and Pensions, HM Revenue & Customs
    • Tenancy or Licence Agreement
  • Your current tenancy agreement for your home
  • Any notice, possession order or eviction notice you may have been given.
If you own your own home or have owned a property in the last six years
  • Current market valuation
  • Mortgage settlement statement
  • Notification of possession proceedings
  • Order for possession
  • Notice of evictions
  • Completion Statement (if sold)
  • Proof of equity either received or to be received
  • Proof of the how the equity has been used or spent
If anyone included in the application is from an EU Country
  • Proof that you are currently employed , e.g. two months of your most recent payslips or your contract of employment
  • Proof that you are self-employed by providing some of the following:-
    • Proof of registration with the Inland Revenue for tax purposes
    • Tax accounts and bank statements relating to your business
    • Invoices, orders and receipts relating to your business
    • Utility bills relating to your business
  • Proof that you are receiving State Benefits, e.g. Job Seekers Allowance, Income Support, Employment Support Allowance, Personal Independence Payment Award Letter
If anyone included in the application is a former asylum seeker or from outside the EU
  • Confirmation of your immigration status e.g. your original Home Office papers confirming your leave to remain or your entry clearance visa which should be in your passport.

For each child included in the application

  • For children under 18 years of age:
    • Proof of Child benefit and/or Tax Credits Award and;
    • The child’s birth certificate or passport
  • For children over 18 years of age:
    • Letter from child confirming their desire to be rehoused with you
    • The child’s birth certificate or passport
  • If you have access to any children who do not normally reside with you, please provide:
    • Formal confirmation of access arrangements e.g. solicitor’s letter, court order or letter from other parent
If anyone included in the application is pregnant
  • Maternity records or confirmation from GP
If anyone included in the application is currently serving or has left service of the British Armed Forces in the last 5 years
  • Proof of current service and/or discharge papers.
If anyone included in this application is aged 16 or 17 and/or leaving care or being looked after by Social Services
  • A completed Trustee form – please contact Housing Needs for further information.

Please note:

  • If you already have a live Housing Register application and had a bidding number on our old system please do not apply again.
  • If you have already contacted a Housing Solution officer regarding your housing situation, do not apply again but speak to them for advice.
  • If you have not received a registration email for our new Housing Jigsaw system please email quoting your old bidding number.

To apply to join the Housing Register, you need to complete an online application via the Peterborough Homes Housing Jigsaw website.

Register by clicking 'Customer Registration' and following the instructions.

Once registered and logged in, you can then click 'Join the Housing Register' to start your application.

Once you have applied, signed and provided documentation, your application for the Housing Register will be assessed and we will endeavour to assess applications within 28 days. You will be unable to bid for properties until your application has been assessed.